A Symposium on Jurji Zaidan’s Contributions to Modern Arab Thought and Literature was held on Tuesday, June 5th 2012 at The Library of Congress in Washington DC to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the birth of Jurji Zaidan and the 120th anniversary of the publishing house he founded,
Dar-al-Hilal, one of the biggest publishing houses in the Middle East.
The Zaidan Foundation published in 2013 a volume on the Library of Congress Symposium on Jurji Zaidan held in June 2012. The volume is entitled Jurji Zaidan’s Contributions to Modern Arab Thought and Literature (ISBN 978-0-9848-4354-1) edited by George C. Zaidan and Thomas Philipp. The volume includes twelve essays by noted scholars in various fields assessing Zaidan’s contributions as an Arab nationalist, historical novelist, journalist, historian, linguist, social and political reformer, and educator. It also includes a number of articles by Jurji Zaidan that were translated.
You can watch the oral presentations on the Library of Congress Webcast of the Jurji Zaidan Symposium in two parts:
- To read the Press Announcement of this event click here
- To see the Program of the Symposium click here
- To review the Biographical information of Contributors click here
- To read the Press Report click here
- To see the TV coverage of the event, courtesy of MBC, click here
- To see the Keynote address by Ismail Serageldin click here
- To read the oral presentation on Jurji Zaidan the Cultural Entrepreneur by George C Zaidan click here
- To see Pictures of the Contributors delivering their presentations and other pictures of the Symposium click here
- To read the Press Release of the volume on the Symposium Jurji Zaidan’s Contributions to Modern Arab Thought and Literature click here
- To view the details of the volume covering the papers of the Symposium on Jurji Zaidan’s Contributions to Modern Arab Thought and Literature click here