Introduction to Jurji Zaidan Bibliography
The Zaidan Foundation is pleased to include a new Bibliography on all the works by Jurji Zaidan as well as the works written about him. It was prepared by Anne-Laure Dupont, Associate Professor of Modern and Contemporary History of the Arab World and the Middle East at Sorbonne Université, Paris, France. This compilation incorporates for the first time: (i) links that enable on-line reading of open source works; and (ii) links to PDF files posted on this website.
View the Bibliography
Fifteen works by and on Jurji Zaidan can now be read on the Foundation website. Links to each of these works are included below as well as in the Bibliography.
- Two historical works written by Zaidan – viz. the translation into English of Vol. 4 of the “History of Islamic Civilization entitled Umayyads and Abbasids”; and “The Arabs before Islam” in Arabic.
- A selection of Jurji Zaidan’s articles compiled in book form in “Mukhtārāt Jurjī Zaydān” first published in Al-Hilal between 1892 and 1914.
- Three books in Arabic on the Arabic Language – Arab Terminology and the Philosophy of Language; The Arab Language as a Living Being; and the History of the Literature of the Arabic Language.
- Two important works on Zaidan’s contributions in English — Thomas Philipp’s “Gurgi Zaidan, His Life and Thought”; and “Contributions to Modern Arab Thought and Literature” which incorporates a large number of papers by eminent scholars delivered at the Jurji Zaidan Symposium at the Library of Congress in June 2012.
- One work in Arabic on Jurji Zaidan by Joseph Harb “Jurjī Zaydān Rijāl fī Rajūl” (Many Men in One Man).
- Three of Zaidan’s personal works all in Arabic – his autobiography; the 1886 Journal of his voyage to England with his friend Jabr Dumit; and his only non-historical novel — The Struggle of Lovers which includes some autobiographical elements.
- Two early translations into French of Jurji Zaidan’s historical novels can also be read on this website: La Révolution Turque (Allah Veuille) and Al Abbassa, La Soeur du Calife.
- One important work in French by Anne Laure Dupont on Jurji Zaidan’s contributions to the Arab Renaissance.
Eleven of Jurji’s Zaidan historical novels can also be read in Arabic on this website. Links are provided to those novels in the Al-Hilal issues as well as in the Bibliography.
The Zaidan Foundation